If you are a UK resident or have a business, you would have heard of the government gateway. Technology is rapidly advancing, replacing traditional lifestyles with an online presence. It is an online system that gives access to several types of government services that include tax returns, benefits, and other related official documents. Let us discuss why you need a Government Gateway account and how to set one up.
This blog will explore various aspects of a government gateway and how you can use it to manage your affairs in more efficient ways.
Firstly, let us understand what the government gateway exactly is. It is an online portal that securely authorizes individuals and businesses to get access to government services. If you want to become an authorized user of the gateway, you will have to create an account and provide some personal information. Accordingly, once you do it, it will allow you to log in and access a wide range of government services that are available to you.
What Services Does the Government Gateway Offer?
Gateway account fully authorizes you to have access to the HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) online services. You can view your
- Personal tax account.
- Pay as you earn (PAYE) tax.
- Business tax account.
- VAT (Value Added Tax.
- Add your accountant.
And much more.
Why you Need a Government Gateway Account and How to Set One Up in the UK?
There is no limit to online services. Be it communication, information, financial matters, listening to music, watching videos and shopping, etc. everything has become online. In the like way, the Government Gateway is an initiative of the UK government to facilitate its citizens through citizens-friendly, transparent online services. For that reason, Gateway is the main place where you can register to use the online services of the government. After registration with the system, you receive a password and User ID as part of the sign-up process that enables you to access many of the digital services of HMRC.
Let us look at the major benefits of the government gateway account to understand why you need a Government Gateway account and how to set one up.
One of its major advantages is that it saves time. The importance and value of time in this rapidly growing world has increased. Instead of hanging out, filling out forms, and sending them through the post, you can easily complete everything online. It also gives the flexibility of time to apply for benefits and complete your tax returns at a time that is convenient to you. Hence, you do not need to take time off or change your schedule to complete this work.
All Data is Encrypted
The government gateway is secure. All your data is encrypted, which means it gives absolute protection to your data from hackers and online threats. This is particularly crucial when you share sensitive information such as bank details and national insurance numbers.
The government gateway is easy to use. The way it has been designed deserves to be appreciated. It is user-friendly and intuitive. That is why you do not have to acquire extraordinary expertise in technology to use it. It is quite easy, and you can easily use it. If you have any problem with using it, then there is a helpdesk to help you that you can contact.
It Saves Money
The government gateway also saves you money. Many services that Gateway offers are free of cost. It means you do not have to pay for professional consultancy or expensive software. For example, if you are self-employed, you can easily and free of cost use a gateway to submit your tax returns. As a result, it saves you hundreds of pounds that you pay to an accountant as a fee.
Forecasting State Pension
You can use this online portal to provide you with forecast state pensions. It notifies you of any forecast shortfall and informs you of your National Insurance contribution record. Furthermore, it serves as a sort of check to keep you on the right track; it alerts you about the possible shortfall and urges you to take precautions to eliminate it.
It is Environmentally Friendly
This online gateway portal is environmentally friendly. By online filling forms, you reduce the carbon footprint by bypassing the need for paper and postage. It does not seem that it would have a tremendous impact, but if all the citizens of the UK start to use the government gateway instead of paper forms, at the end of the day, it would surely have positive impacts on the environment.
Now, you know why you need a Government Gateway account and how to set one up.
How Can You Create a Government Gateway Account
Firstly, let us figure out what you need to create a government gateway account. You will need two things that are:
- Your National Insurance number or UK address
- A valid UK passport or a recent pay slip or P60
You can use a user ID for your personal or business tax account or other relevant things related to it. Corporation Tax, Self-assessment, VAT, and PAYE for employers.
Then you will have to visit the official website of HMRC and follow the step-by-step process until the successful registration of an account. We simplify it here for you; it is much easier than you think. Find out why you need a Government Gateway account and how to set one up.
- Once you are at the HMRC website, click on the green button ‘start now.’
- Next, click on ‘Create an account’ and then on the Continue button.
- Then, click on the green button of ‘choose government gateway.’
- Now, click on ‘create a sign in details’ below the green button of ‘sign of.’
- Afterward, HMRC will send the code to your email address for your email address confirmation.
- Then, write your code on the given option of ‘confirmation code’ and click the below button of ‘continue.’
- After confirming your email, you will have the green button for ‘continue.’
- Now print your full name. Likewise, the same name you have on your passport and then press the continue button.
- After that, create a password of 10 or more characters. You can use a mix of numbers, letters, or symbols. In the same way, confirm the password and press the continue button.
- Accordingly, set up a recovery word between 6 two 12 characters without spaces, special characters, or numbers. Additionally, security code is if you forget the password, you can get access to your government gateway. Then press the continue button.
- Resultantly, your user ID of your Government Gateway has been created. HMRC will share that ID with you. Remember your User ID and password as you will need both each time you sign into your government Gateway. Press the continue button.
Thus, this thoroughly explains why you need a Government Gateway account and how to set one up.
Selection of the Type of Account
- In the same way, now HMRC will ask you the type of account you need by showing you three options: individual, organization, and agent. Of course, it is up to you what sort of account suits you in view of your needs. While I click on the ‘individual’ option, which is about personal tax accounts, child benefits, tax credits, and self-assessment. Then click on the ‘continue’ button.
- Now set up additional security to make sure only you can sign into your account.
- After setting up additional security code, HMRC will offer you three options that include text message, voice call, and an authentication app for a smartphone or tablet to send you an access code. Again, select the one you are most comfortable and convenient with. I selected the ‘text message’ option, which is the UK phone number.
- Now HMRC will send you a 6-digit access code.
- Here, enter the access code in the given portion.
- Now you will have to answer a couple of questions about yourself, like details of your UK passport, pay slips, or P60, Voice ID, and tax credits. Certainly, these questions are to protect you against any type of fraudulent or malicious attempt to access the services.
- Now it is time to enter personal details like name, national insurance number, and date of birth. Here, make sure your details are correct.
- Further HMRC will ask you for some information about your UK passport and pay slip. Click on UK passport. It will confirm the details like your name, date of birth, etc. from the UK passport office. It will also ask you for some details about your pay slip. Select pay slip and press continue.
The Final Steps:
- Now enter the tax amount deducted on the pay slip.
- After that, enter your personal details the same as they appear on your passport, like passport number, surname, given names, and date of expiry.
- Finally, you will get an identity confirmation message. You have your Government Gateway ID completed.
Do I Need a Government Gateway Account?
Although it is not mandatory in the normal routine, it is recommendable for all UK citizens to create an account. Creating an account charge no fee and it keeps you constantly informed and updated about your tax position.
There are certain circumstances when you may find the need to create an account automatically. These circumstances include:
- You must send a self-assessment tax return.
- If you are a businessperson and have set up a private limited company that requires you to pay corporation tax.
- You run a business where you have started to employ people.
- If you are operating a business that needs to charge value-added tax because your taxable profit is over £85,000.
In these circumstances, your gateway account ensures the smooth functioning of your business and makes your tax-related affairs much easier. Therefore, you must know why you need a Government Gateway account and how to set one up.
Finally, in this rapidly growing world where each second is precious enough to avail prevailing opportunities, the government gateway is a valuable resource for anyone who wants or needs to access online government services. It is easy to use, saves time, saves money, is secure, and is environmentally friendly. In view of its many advantages, if you have not yet created an account, we suggest and encourage you to create an account immediately. Certainly, it will make your life much easier and much more efficient.